Pages

Monday 15 August 2016

PERFECT WALKING WEATHER!


This morning was perfect walking weather - bright and sunny but not too warm.  I had Belinda for company.  We took a wooded path that neither of us had been on before - it was uphill and went on and on!

We noticed a lot of flying insects around, but luckily, apart from being annoying, they didn't seem to be nibbling...  Whenever I go into the countryside on warm evenings, I always wear a herbal insect repellent from the health food shop, as I am always getting bitten!  I don't think I better go to Scotland, as I hear that midges can smell human flesh a mile away!


We took a footpath that went right through somebody's garden.  At first we couldn't see the way out so we had a really good look around!  If it was my garden I think I would have put a couple of arrows to show the way...


The fields of grains are growing well while some footpaths are becoming overgrown. We had to find sticks to beat down the brambles and stinging nettles and I still managed to get stung!

In a hedgerow, we saw large, white bindweed flowers - not something I would want in my garden!  However, Belinda said, "there is Granny Out of Bed".  She went on to explain that as a child she would pick the flower head, recite the rhyme - 'granny, granny, pop out of bed', and on the word 'pop' she would squeeze the base and the flower would pop out!  I tried it and it does work.

You learn something new everyday...

   

No comments:

Post a Comment