Pages

Monday 18 July 2016

HEATWAVE COMING!

When I woke up this morning it was misty, but by the time I reached Belinda's house it had cleared and the sun was out.  As Jenny is only walking on a Friday, I have managed to persuade Belinda into a regular Monday walk!

Last night's Countryfile on tv was all about wild flower meadows, so I felt inspired to suggest we went up to Barren Down - the nearest one I could think of!  



The meadow was full of grasses and wild flowers, mainly yellow and purple and wildlife - saw plenty of slugs and snails!  Barren Down seems a world away from the town, and yet it is such a wonderful resource, on the doorstep.  Belinda brought her 35mm camera and I caught her (see above) trying to photograph a beautiful butterfly...



Our long walk took us on footpaths over farmland where the crops are growing fast. Thank goodness most farmers respect rights of way and make provisions.  I accidentally got a shock from an electric fence, my fault - I was too busy taking pics to notice it!  The farmer had put a cover over it (see pic above left), where you had to climb over it to reach the stile...

In the past we have been on footpaths and found that our way is barred by cattle, which we are always wary of and avoid.   One farmer even has a notice saying 'beware of the bull', in a field that contains a footpath!



We have been promised a mini heatwave and it certainly became warmer and warmer as the walk progressed.  On our way back through town we saw some beautiful garden flowers, and I was grateful to sit in Belinda's garden and drink a glass of coconut water - very hydrating!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment