Pages

Friday 30 October 2015

WHAT A BREEZE!

It was dark and pouring with rain when I woke this morning so I was prepared to get wet and not enjoy our walk.  However, once out, the rain had eased off and the temperature was mild, although it was soggy underfoot and very breezy.   But there is something very satisfying about being out in the elements, as long as you are warm and dry!  It is so easy to hibernate, not go out and miss out on the joys of being in the countryside.


In a few minutes from our homes we are in the countryside.  Which is just as well as, yes, we were short of time again today!  We are hoping to make up for it next week with some longer walks.  Even on our shorter walks, we go for an hour or so and the time passes so quick - all that talking!

There are some wonderful coloured leaves this Autumn.  I hadn't realised, until recently, that the leaves do not, in fact, change colour - they are that colour underneath a layer of green chlorophyll.  It is the fading of the green pigment that allows the reds, oranges, yellows and browns to shine through.  However, the wind is bringing them all down and some trees are now looking quite bare!  We did notice how noisy it was today - the wonderful rustling sound of the wind blowing through the dried out leaves and branches... 


The wind causes havoc on our estate with bins being blown over and when we got back to Skin and Tonic we noticed one of the banners had come adrift (above bottom left).  

I do love A.A. Milne poetry.  I have the complete 'When we were very young' and 'Now we are six' with illustrations by E.H. Shepard.  It is the one book I would never get rid of from my childhood.  The breeze this morning reminded me of this poem:

WIND ON THE HILL

No one can tell me,
Nobody knows,
Where the wind comes from,
Where the wind goes.

It's flying from somewhere
As fast as it can,
I couldn't keep up with it,
Not if I ran.

But if I stopped holding
The string of my kite,
It would blow with the wind
For a day and a night.

And then when I found it,
Wherever it blew,
I should know that the wind
Had been going there too.

So then I could tell them
Where the wind goes...
But where the wind comes from
Nobody knows.


No comments:

Post a Comment