Pages

Friday 21 August 2015

GREY MORNING

Today was one of those grey, humid mornings where the misty dampness seemed to pervade all the senses, even the birds were quiet!  A lot of talking was done, especially from Jenny, but my lips are sealed - what gets said on the walks stays on the walks!  I recently read an article which said that walks are very conducive to intimate conversations, as when you walk and talk, you don't look into the eyes of your companion.  How true that is!




Our walk took us over towards Boden.  We went up a track that went through a field of grains.  On one side the field had been cut but the other was still full of wheat grain - just like you get illustrated on cereal packets!  I personally avoid eating wheat, not because I have celiac disease, but because a grain is a seed, which in order to survive harsh environments contains the built-in protective mechanisms. Wheat contains  gluten, WGA (wheat germ agglutinin) and opioid peptides which, amongst other things, attack the intestinal tract, making it hard to digest.  I know I feel much better not having it in my diet.




Today we noticed some of the leaves beginning to turn to autumn colours already. Some blackberries are ready to pick and we saw an apple tree laden with fruit. On one field we had to be careful not to tread on the enormous slugs which were everywhere.  Not the most photogenic of creatures, but I couldn't resist a pic!  I made the mistake of giving Jenny my camera to hold while I took off my jacket (it was so humid), and at the same time tried not to drop my rucksack.  She took the candid shot seen top left!



The warm damp air intensified smells, and when we were on a footpath that took us to the back of the drinks factory (see me looking up at these massive structures), there was a heady whiff of apples and cider!!



No comments:

Post a Comment